Why are you switching?
The current setup is inadequate for the client’s needs. The mailbox may be at it limits, using POP instead of IMAP or Exchange, or spam is cluttering the use of it.
Before you begin, it is essential to understanding the existing email workflow. You can save a lot of money and headache by simply creating a spreadsheet of all the players involved. Gather all the mailboxes, forwarders, etc; and what addresses you can consolidate in aliases to save money. It is best to find someone that knows the lay of the land at the particular office, has been there for years, and work with them.
Establishing the IT Go-To Email
There will be a lot of correspondence that the outsourced IT person needs to work on. Creating or utilizing a third party email avoids charging the client for additional mailbox account but also give the IT person an opportunity to deal with IT situations directly. The obvious email to create is firstname.lastname@example.org if the client doesn’t already have something similar.
Hosting Providers Details
Gather all the hosting provider details including support number, email address, and hours of operation
- Who’s the registrar?
- Who hosts the DNS?
- Who is the current email host provider?
- You will need to cancel their email service
Go to O365 Website
Select the package on Microsoft’s O365 Business site to proceed with the setup. We select 3 users because we consolidated the email address and are left with three actual mailboxes. The rest are aliases that redirect to the appropriate mailbox. The rest of your journey can be found on other Network Antics blogs.
Microsoft Hosted Office 365 Summary
The rest of your journey can be found on other Network Antics blogs. We will re-post resources as we gather them.
Hosted O365 Resources:
- Email Client Configuration Settings
- How To Add a Mailbox Account in O365
- GoDaddy Hosting Setup
- Rackspace Setup for Hosted Exchange
Exchange or Mail Locally Hosted On-Site Resources:
- Purchasing an Exchange Mail Server or Cheaper Alternative
- A Server Implementation Guide
- Exchange Server Migration Support
Hosted or Local Hosted Links:
- DNS Lookup for Email Provider
- Outlook and PST Backup Tips
- Email Organization and Email Hosting Pricing Information (bottom section of link)
- Email Backup tips for Outlook