Setup OneDrive Client for Business is pretty easy once you understand what exactly each service does and where you go to set each workstation client. SharePoint and OneDrive for Business combined give you unlimited amount of communal storage when subscribed to Microsoft Office 365 Business Essentials. Here’s the gist of features:
- OneDrive for Business
WARNING: One Drive for Business does not sync your desktop and photos by default. The OneDrive for Business settings requires adjustment on the user’s computer for this to happen. Right click OneDrive for Business to view and adjust settings. Select the Auto save tab, update folders, and manage protection of important folders.
What if I want to share files among the members of my team or organization?
Microsoft created Sharepoint as a place to collaborate with other team members. “Sites” are created for the team to not only share files and post intranet (a website internal to your organization) web page updates but also as a place access and update files and folders in one central location
SharePoint Drive – Cloud File Server Storage
- Is installed when you install OneDrive for Business. It’s a communal storage space. You can have multiple sharepoint “sites” for storage. Each user can permissions to certain specific “sites”
How do I know what sites were setup for my organization?
- Go to http://portal.office.com
- Select “admin” interface
- Scroll down the left pane and click the drop down for Admin Centers.
- Admin Centers contains administrator access to the entire Office 365 product suite. Pay particular attentions to the URLs on this page. A shortcut to this page is https://kindhealthgroupcom-admin.sharepoint.com
- Click “try the preview” for the fancy more featured packed version of Sharepoint Admin Center Preview.
- In the left pane, click “site management” to the “team sites” your administrator created.
- Grab the URLs of each team site created for your documentation
Group Permissions – I want all my users within my organization to have access to “KindHealthGroupTeamSharing” site.
Return to the “Microsoft 365 Admin Center” to add more users to the “KindHealthGroupTeamSharing” Office 365 group. Select “groups” in the left pane for adding more users to the group in question.
Direct link to Microsoft 365 Admin Center
ProTip! Sometimes it takes Microsoft 365 up to eight hours to process the new user added to the group. Send an invite to the user via email for the user to have quicker access to the group.
How do you setup a new employee for OneDrive and Sharepoint?
Setup OneDrive Client for Business
1) Open up Internet Explorer and log into portal.office.com with the user’s account.
2) Click on the OneDrive icon.
3) Click on the Sync icon. It should prompt you to install OneDrive for Business.
4) Once this is installed you will have a folder in the Windows File Explorer that says “OneDrive – The Plaza”. This will have the synced folder contents for that user’s OneDrive for Business account.
As you now know, setup OneDrive Client for Business also features team access. The sharepoint site can be configured and access once you setup OneDrive for Business.
1) To get the SharePoint link, go to the Office apps and click on SharePoint.
2) Click on the “Sandbox” group link.
3) In the upper left have corner open the menu drop down and choose “documents”.
4) Hit the “Sync” button to sync your Sharepoint folder with your PC. This will create a SharePoint folder in Windows File Explorer called “The Plaza”
OneDrive for Business Fun File Sharing Extras
Below are the results of sharing your document to a third party.
Setup OneDrive Client for Business Summary
These instructions are for existing users and existing Sharepoint and OneDrive for Business setup. Follow the link below if you wish setup a Sharepoint site from scratch.